Saturday, September 19, 2009

The scariest day of our lives

September 16 started out ad a wonderful day. Gabriel came over and we had a wonderful time at the park after running a few errands. 
After we left the park we headed to the mall to grab a few things for Levi. Gabriel didn't want to go and I wanted to wait until Steve got off work but I decided to get it done and over with. Now, I wish I would have listened to Gabriel.
I put Levi in the carrier and wore him around while we shopped. We were there less then 20 minutes. I got what I needed and Levi was extremely tired and ready for a nap. We went to the car and I started to load up the boys. 
I put Levi's car seat in the front seat and set him in it. Right as I was putting him in, Gabriel opened the back door and a can of soda fell out of the car and started rolling into the street. Gabriel told me and I looked over and saw a big car coming so I turned and grabbed it before Gabriel went after it. Right as I turned back I saw the worst thing in my life.
I was only turned around for 3 seconds so when I looked back and saw Levi on the pavement, it took me a second to even realize what happened. He immediately started crying and I picked him up as quick as possible. I started crying and screaming and I put Gabriel in the car and called Steve.
Levi was screaming and his nose was bleeding and his forehead was bruised. I didnt know what to do. I was pacing back a forth and Steve couldn't understand a word I was saying but he said he was close and would be there in 2 minutes. I called my mom and then called 911. 
Steve showed up right away and held Levi while I tried to calm down.
It took 15 minutes for the fire truck to get there and even longer for the ambulance. The entire time I was just praying and asking God for his protection and healing over Levi. He calmed down and was so exhausted he tried to fall asleep but we kept him awake and alert. 
The ambulance got there and my mom, Levi and I rode in there. Levi screamed the entire time and I tried to calm him down but I wasn't able to sit near him. It was the worst drive of my life.
We got to the hospital not only did the nurse not let me take him out of the car seat (for absolutely no reason ) but then a cop came in and started taking pictures of Levi's face.  I felt like the worlds worst mother and continued sobbing while Steve held me. 
They took x-rays of Levi's entire body and then we sat there for hours waiting for a doctor to come in for 1 minute and tell us he was fine. Levi finally took a nap and calmed down which was a relief but I never calmed down. 
The miracle was that Levi was perfectly fine. He was playing and alert and even smiling and giggling. It was hard for me to accept that everything was fine and even 3 days later Im still stressed and thinking the worst. But I am trying to have faith and trust in God. I know that God protected Levi. It absolutely doesn't make any sense that he could fall 3ft-4ft face first and be completely fine. It is truly a miracle and I am so blessed. 
Finally asleep in the Emergency Room
Finally home
Still a happy, playful boy
I have the most wonderful son ever
Happy boy at the park with dad

No comments: